More on manuals plus rescue

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Aug 21 13:18:20 CDT 2015

On 2015-08-21 20:09, Evan Koblentz wrote:

>> That's why I speak out against attempts to paint copyright violation
>> as other things, such as theft: it's an appeal to emotions, trying to
>> equate "thing I want people to oppose" with "very different thing I
>> expect people already consider bad".  It's a fundamentally dishonest
>> bit of oratory.
>
> I write for a (meager) living. If someone were to take my work and
> decide for themselves that it should be online for free, then they ARE
> stealing from me. That is reality, not the semantics of case law.

Well, technically I would argue that they are denying you the
compensation that you should be entitled to. It's not the same as
stealing from you.

(Sorry for disagreeing with you, but I think using the correct terms are
important.)

Stealing implies that you loose something you had possession of.

All that said, the action of denying you something that is your by right
is also illegal.

	Johnny