Larry Niven's Altair

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 20:44:35 CDT 2015

On Aug 20, 2015 6:43 PM, "Fred Cisin" <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>>
>> But yeah, I'd hate to run up against BillG in a spat over appropriating
his Altair BASIC.  He could squash me like a bug with his legal resources.
I recall that other outfits stealing his code was one of his big public
gripes back in the pre-PC days.
>> Better to ask first, no?  I keep playing that old song, but "used with
perimission" is a small price to pay, isn't it?

> Chuck is absolutely right (as usual)
>
> Our, or anybody else's, interpretations of the laws are of far less
significance than how BillG feels about it.
> So, buy Bill Degnan's license, and write a nice note to Bill Gates.
> When you do, ask him if there any updates to it planned.

Gates does not care about personal use of MITS software, be realistic.