cctalk Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:58:10 CDT 2015

> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 01:29:27 -0400
> From: Evan Koblentz <evan at snarc.net>
> Subject: MARCH's Straight 8 restoration notes
>
> The RICM PDP-12 thread made me realize that I (nor I think David
> Gesswein) ever posted our PDP-8 notes here. (We did post a link to the
> Youtube video of the ceremony at VCF East.)
>
> Anyway, here are David's notes:
> http://www.pdp8.net/shows/vcfe15/slides/PDP-8_Restoration.html and also
> his exhibit notes here: http://www.pdp8.net/shows/vcfe15/vcfe15.shtml.

Evan,

It is nice to see documented proof that we are not the only people crazy
enough to attempt a restoration of a machine in that condition. The TU20
tape drive that came with the PDP-9 also had a unauthorized mouse upgrade,
and several transistors fell off the flip-chips when we touched them. They
were Germanium transistors so getting replacements was a challenge.

Michael Thompson