Shugart 800-8 media centering problem

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Aug 16 11:49:32 CDT 2015

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Where I saw the problem was with the Micropolis 77-track (single sided) 100
> tpi drives.

Their 35 track 48tpi ss drive was the same.  Exceptionally sturdy and
reliable drive, but not much slope on that cone, and the helical lead
screw wasn't intended to step very fast.

Hub reinforcers were on the later 300 Oersted disks.  OR user added to
early 300s and to 600 Oersteds.
A disk without a hub ring could be either an early 360K or a 1.2M

So, they weren't an especially reliable way to identify disks.

Adding hub rings to 8" disks made for fewer issues for centering.
IFF installed right - an off-center hub ring makes for even more fun.