E-mail Archives Was: Writing 8" floppies with SuperCard Pro

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Aug 13 16:12:09 CDT 2015

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 at 17:01:46 -0700, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 8/12/15 11:34 AM, Peter Coghlan wrote:
>
> > The posting email addresses are only slightly disguised and could be harvested
> > by spammers.  Would it be possible to filter them a bit better before they are
> > found?
> >

> That horse is already out of the barn.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20141025044832/http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/
>
> for example
>
> All they'd have to do is pull down the .zip files, which is what I just did
> to fill in the couple years that I didn't pull down from the archive.
>
> and IA has snapshots for that URL going back years.

Over the last five years, my filters have rejected just 46 spams directed to
the email addresses I used to post to this list and another 6 made it through.
There have been none at all since April 2013.  It sppears most spammers can't
be bothered to or can't even manage to download zip files and unzip them.

Email addresses with minimal protection on non-https web pages are much more
likely to be within range of the average spammers skill set.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.