AlgolW

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Aug 11 15:14:33 CDT 2015

On 2015-Aug-11, at 11:06 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:00 PM, <cctech-request at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> From: Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca>
>>
>> There was also AlgolW, supported on MTS.
>>
>> As MTS was being mentioned earlier I was going to ask if anyone knew
>> whether the AlgolW compiler was included in the available distribution.
>>
> ​The sources are available - they were googlable - send me a note off list
> and I can put together a tar image of what I have.  FYI:  It was written
> PL/360.  I did some hacking on it under TSS years ago.​ IIRC  Wirth did
> AlgolW on the 360 at Stanford which was running one of the OS/360 flavors.
>  CMU ported to TSS and Michigan to MTS.

I brought up AlgolW on the list a few years ago and someone clarified it was Wirth's successor to Algol 60,
but that's also interesting if the MTS compiler actually is or traces back to Wirth's implementation.

> also check out:
> The Programming Languages Genealogy Project
>
> http://everything2.com/title/the+Programming+Languages+Genealogy+Project

I was, so to speak, part of the experience mentioned by user dabcanboulet there:
used AlgolW as a 1st-year student, was then subjected to Pascal in 2nd year and felt Pascal was a step backwards.

I still have greenbar listings of my student programs but threw out my card decks 20-or-so years ago.

On 2015-Aug-09, at 11:33 AM, Sean Caron wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Dave G4UGM <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I believe that its included, but I haven't tried it.

> Yes, *ALGOLW is included and working in the D6.0 MTS tapes.

Can't start into it now due to moving, but sometime in the future I may look at getting hercules and MTS going and trying out the compiler.