Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:23:58 CDT 2015

That depends on your zOS licence. Different countries have different laws. I believe that the current Z partner developer licences specifically restrict running zOS on anything other than the supplied emulator and IBM has taken steps to encrypt the disks  to prevent you from even trying. On the other hand some of the older MVS licences allowed you to run on anything in a disaster recovery situation, including Disaster recovery testing. I believe these clauses have been modified in the current licence but I don't have a copy to look at...

> Or did they lift that restriction? The licensing on the image which Alessandro
> is referring to is undoubtedly questionable in the whole; I was just curious,
> since it sounds like he maybe had seen it before, if it was "complete" and had
> big layered products like ISPF included and working as well.

It depends on how it was originally licenced. If it was on a Monthly Charge the licence on the MP3000 will have expired. If it was purchased then the original owners will have a licence and it may be possible to transfer it...

> Best,
>
> Sean

Dave
G4UGM