MTS

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Mon Aug 10 16:04:33 CDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 01:24:41PM -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>I think there might be enough there to IPL and perform a basic installation,
>but what immediately caught my attention was the mention that sites had to
>purchase ASMH from IBM, which leads me to believe the public distributions
>don't contain an assembler.

I assume you're saying that the real MTS sites bought *ASMH back in the
old days, not that it's possible for mere mortals to buy a license for
home emulator use nowadays at a finite price?

I'd love to be wrong (and I'd gladly pay four digits, as long as it's
one-time and not per-year).  It'd be hard to get very far w/o *ASMH
(it's horrible but it's the standard, and MTS had plenty of languages
I miss less), and writing a clean/legal reimplementaation now would only
take, say, 5000 person-years.

John Wilson
USERHA8G at RPITSMTS.Bitnet