VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Fri Aug 7 14:21:05 CDT 2015

As Antonio mentioned, the condist VAXVMS073 normally boots into standalone backup mode.  The only application
that runs is BACKUP.

if you boot
>>>b/r5:10000000 dka700:
(BOOT/R5:10000000 DKA700:)

You get a bit more capability to handle disks.  You can mount the disks  and verify they are accessbile.  If you
use dump, specify reasonable start and end blocks as interrupts don’t work (!)

$set noverify
    Installing required known files...
    Configuring devices...

System time is:  26-JUL-2015 00:11:19.97
 Enter Yes to the next question to leave the system time unchanged
        (the system clock continues to run unaffected)
 Enter No to set a new system time

 Enter ? to redisplay the time

* Is this correct? (Y/N/?) y

    You can execute DCL commands and procedures for various "standalone"
    tasks, such as backing up the system disk.

    Please choose one of the following:
        1)  Execute DCL commands and procedures
        2)  Shut down this system
Enter CHOICE or "?" to repeat menu: (1/2/?) 1

    WARNING --
    The normal OpenVMS startup procedure has not executed.
    Some commands and utilities will not work as documented.
    COMPAQ does not support PRODUCT INSTALL and other
    PRODUCT operations in this environment.

    Enter DCL commands -- Enter "LOGOUT" when done.
    When you enter "LOGOUT" a logout message will be displayed,
    and you will be returned to the menu.

$$$

Note the different prompt.

$$$ mount/fore dka400:
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, HD1025 mounted on _DKA400:
$$$ sh dev dka400:/full

Disk DKA400:, device type SEAGATE ST15230N, is online, allocated, deallocate on
    dismount, mounted foreign, file-oriented device, shareable, error logging is
    enabled.

    Error count                    0    Operations completed                  5
    Owner process          "STARTUP"    Owner UIC                         [1,4]
    Owner process ID        00000023    Dev Prot            S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:R,W
    Reference count                2    Default buffer size                 512
    Total blocks             8386733    Sectors per track                   111
    Total cylinders             3977    Tracks per cylinder                  19

    Volume label            "HD1025"    Relative volume number                0
    Cluster size                   0    Transaction count                     1
    Free blocks                    0    Maximum files allowed                 0
    Extend quantity                0    Mount count                           1
    Mount status             Process    ACP process name                     ""

  Volume Status:  Unknown ACP type.

$$$