OT: Slow booting, was re: Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Thu Aug 6 20:34:57 CDT 2015

For sure. When I quoted the 20 minute post time on new 4U machines earlier,
I didn't include the time the four HBAs on those particular machines spent
enumerating each one of the 360 drives connected ... only to poop out at
the end of the process anyway because it runs out of memory in a fixed data
structure and wants you to whack the space bar a bunch of times to
acknowledge the warning. Then the hardware RAID. And the PXE BIOS on the
NICs. And the configuration prompt for the management controller. Now they
want to bake UEFI into these things and the silly "lifecycle controller"
wants to drop in, take inventory and disconnect and what good that does me,
I will never know ...

Mostly it's an issue at deployment time; you are usually doing a few quick
reboots in succession when loading the system and, while I admit, patience
is definitely a virtue, watching these things POST can get frustrating when
you're at work and other stuff is going on in the mean-time. Once they're
up, they don't tend to get rebooted much.

Best,

Sean