Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Aug 6 19:13:52 CDT 2015

On 08/06/2015 04:01 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> Until that console processor fails with no backups.  I seem to recall
> having 4 or 5 "backups" (aka operators).  ;)

Well, the idea is that the console or diagnostic processor
is WAY simpler than the mainframe CPU.  So, if the console
computer dies, you can troubleshoot it and be sure it is
running in just a few minutes, and then get on to the real
problem.

The VAX 11/780 had an LSI-11 with a floppy controller and an
interface board to the VAX, so I think it was down to 3
boards or something.

Jon