Wanted: Pertec Tape Controller

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Aug 6 10:35:57 CDT 2015

On 8/6/15 8:30 AM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> I wouldn't mind one as well -- I have a handful of Pertec drives that it
> would be nice to be able to talk to.  One that handles multiple
> interface speeds would be a plus.
>
> I suppose I could always design one....  ;)

Formatted Pertec is a fairly simple interface. Chuck has talked in the
past of designing one, and some of the gotchas with the interface.

Qualstar built two different styles of Pertec-SCSI adapter for the 1054.
I'll see about putting board pics and rom dumps up, but as has
been discussed, SCSI has problems when talking to tapes.

I think Pertec - Ethernet is the way to go, and not mess around with
SCSI or USB.