AM Varityper (phototypesetter)

Tony Aiuto tony.aiuto at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:14:35 CDT 2015

While we are talking about typesetters, I have one that I am willing to
part with if someone can pick it up from Long Island, NY.

It is a Tegra Genesis Laser Phototypesetter, circa 1990.

Original cost at the time was north of $40K. It did 1000DPI pagess at 20
ppm. The print engine is a Varityper 2100 (serial FB00227). It is about 4'w
x 2'd x 18"h (if fit exactly over two raised floor panels). The RIP was a
large tower machine - Tegra Genesis (serial 141). It contains an NS 32016
running Coherent.

The RIP emulates a Compugraphic 8600 typesetter. It has serial and
Compugrapices parallel interfaces. I have all the manuals, cables and a
bunch of software on diskettes.

The RIP and all manuals an interface stuff has been in my (dry) basement
since the late 90's. The setter has been in the garage. I know I will never
get around to restoring it, so it is free to a good home. If you are
seriously interested, respond off list.