This Hobby Is Actually Useful!

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Sat Aug 1 17:36:22 CDT 2015

I still use a bunch of lead solder I purchased to fix the RAM on a C64 back
in the late 1980's plus you can still get it from China on ebay super cheap.

Just this week I fixed an Apple Ibook G3-500 that had the connector for the
trackpad/mouse come off the board from bad lead free soldering at the
factory (what a pain stripping the whole unit to get the motherboard out).
You can get all kinds of fixable and useful equipment cheap because of bad
solder joints these days if you like to fix things.

The Chinese knock-off soldering equipment isn't too bad for the hobbyist. I
just snagged a desolding gun with vacuum pump for $100ish a few months back
and it works very well.