DEC Legacy 2015 Pictures

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 14 17:34:56 CDT 2015

I have advocated venues further South a few times, but as I am not the organiser it is not for me to say. I would quite like it to be in Manchester! But, am I prepared to put in the effort to organise it?

I am guessing that when you talk about a retrospective show, you mean something designed to inform the public. I don't think this is an event intended to inform the public, it is really just an informal gathering for enthusiasts, so in that sense you are right that it is introspective, but I don't see anything wrong with that. What you seem to be talking about is a much larger event, with many visitors, exhibitors etc. That would make organising it orders of magnitude harder and riskier financially. If someone wants to take that on then that would be great, I would consider attending. Although, the bigger such an event gets, the more formal it gets, the more rules there are; I think it would be less fun.

I don't get the bit about the risk to equipment in getting it to the Lake District. I would expect that moving it 20 miles or moving it 200 miles wouldn't make much difference. At a bigger event, with more people milling around it, I would think it was more at risk from people messing with it while you aren't looking.

In the end I think it comes down to this. The organiser can organise it to be anywhere he feels most comfortable in organising it. If someone else wants a similar event somewhere else, then they should either find someone who wants to organise it, or they should do it themselves.

It sounds like you have some interesting stuff, if you do decide to make the trip it would be great to see you at the next one. What would you bring?

Regards

Rob