Huge IBM 1800 find (and need some help)

Johannes Thelen johannesthelen at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 12 09:29:17 CDT 2015

Some progress...

We made little trip couple days ago and now 1800 is disassembled. It took 6 hours with breaks to disassemble all doors, side panels, "hats", power sources, floor cabling and etc stuff. Firstly I thought this IBM is like some spaceship on its complexity, but this is quite simple machine. Very straightforward design, every part has own logical place and there is not too much cabling (and everything is clearly labeled!).

There was four of us, so I think we made quite progress in that time. Also we had to measure every cable before touching them, there was little possiability there is still some "hot" cables (mostly because same wires can go throught cable ducts which are still use and electrify floating wires by induction).

Here's pics: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_DR111cK6W-UHNPN2J1QzFKWG8&usp=sharing

...so we are ready to bring this whole thing down to the stairs next week!

And then some findings: both 2311 has leaked their fluids and roof has leaked over 1443 ( = rust). All rubber parts (like flat cabling bounds) are like potato chips. Doors and side panels need new paint. CPU's ALD manuals are long gone, only ALD which we found was for 1443.

But something good too: it seems 1800 99.90% intact (However, there have been visited some "guest stars" in last 30 years, so something can be taken there as souviner or some parts can be removed and put back to wrong places). Also some other nice findings were IO tester inside of 2841 and "Heili's" framed naming testinomy from 1971! :D

More coming later!

- Johannes ThelenFinland
Before microcomputers blog (Finnish) http://ennenmikrotietokoneita.blogspot.fi/