TRS-80 Model 1 Monitor

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 9 00:58:34 CDT 2015

Yes, I did.

> The TRS-80 M1 drives a normal [1] composite video monitor. The original
one
> was an RCA portable TV that had had the tuner, etc, removed, but there is
no
> reason why you have to use that. I am sure you have something that will
work.

> [1] OK, US scan rates. 15770Hz horizontal, 60Hz vertical. But I've yet to
find a
> composite monochrome monitor that can't be tweaked to do both US and
> European rates.
>
> The only trick is the video output connector on the M1. It's a 5 pin DIN
socket.
> The connections are :
>
> 1 :  +5V
> 4 :  Composite video
> 2 ;  N/C
> 5 : Ground
> 3 : N/C

I have just noticed that it came with a little box with a cable with a DIN
connector on one side and a cable with a coax plug for TV aerials on the
other. It is unmarked and looks a bit "custom". Inside there is a UHF
modulator. So it looks like someone made an RF modulator to allow it to work
with an ordinary analog TV.

Thanks

Rob