Residental electrical load [was Re: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 20:06:25 CST 2014

No, this is actually a very good idea, as far as safety features go. And if
I'd have only thought for a moment, it would have been obvious..

First issue, it's not always totally obvious when an induction hob is
powered up - no visible flame, glowing coil, noise, heat, smell etc. If the
hob were left powered with no load, it would be easy for a (cat, child,
etc) to accidentally knock something onto the surface that could get very
hot - or flame up, like a sheet of aluminum foil.

Or one of those metallized paper fast-food wrappers.. that would make a
nice little fire while the family's out of the house.. or sleeping
upstairs. Then you have the issue that the "burner' sections of a complete
cooktop aren't clearly and mechanically delineated from the "work" area..
oops, corner of the Macbook was WHERE?

A powered but un-used hob is really just a trap waiting to be sprung.
Automatic shutdown is a very wise measure.