Residental electrical load [was Re: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 13:48:37 CST 2014

Hi Chuck,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> Were this a purely resistive effect, a sheet of very thin copper foil or a
> graphite disk would also be great candidates for induction heating, which
> (I can verify this by experimentation) they aren't. isn't.  Of course, the
> frequency has an effect as well.

It's interesting that copper foil won't heat up, because per my
understanding aluminum foil certainly will - don't the manufacturers warn
against using it?

So we have a situation wherein aluminum pots aren't at all suitable for
cooking, but yet foils of the same (well, a very similar) metal will burn
right through. To me this means that it should be possible to design a
purely aluminum, non-magnetic vessel of some particular shape and thickness
that does more-or-less work on an induction cooker.

And I think this illustrates my point that ferromagnetic quality is more of
an ancillary issue, rather than a primary requirement.