KL-10B in DEC-20 [was RE: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Nov 27 10:00:42 CST 2014

    > From: Phil Budne

    > I think MIT-MC was a "1080" and only had RH10s.

That sounds right.

    > I think they used a DL10 for PDP11 interfacing (including chaosnet and
    > some disks)

I don't recall anymore, but I think there was only one -11 attached to the
DL10 (couldn't they support up to 4?)? And yes, the Tridents (along with,
IIRC, some serial lines, and the CHAOSNET) were attached to that -11.

    > and ran KLDCP (pre RSX20) on the console front end....

Yup. Although it had been hacked locally. After briefly glancing at the
sources (see the KLDCP; directory, and IOELEV > in SYSTEM;), it was a real
kludge; the IOELEV program ran in _both_ the DL10 -11, and the console -11.
(In the latter case, along with KLDCP!!) There was some stuff attached to the
console -11 too, apparently; a bunch of serial lines on DH11's.

    > ISTR a disk farm labeled "Moon's Laundromat"

Yes, but I don't think that was on MC. I vaguely recall that it was on a
bunch of drives which were mounted in vertical pairs, which must have been
CalChomps, which I think must have been the original AI? (IIRC, both ML and
DM had DEC RP drives.)

	Noel