Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Billy Pettit bpettitx at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 22:01:50 CST 2014

I can't speak to other areas, but where I live, in California, 3 phase is already brought in to most houses.  But it is split at the power box.  One phase to common is used for 120 volt single phase service.  The other two phases to each other give 220 volt for major appliances.  This shifts from house to house to balance out the loading.

You can apply to have 3 phase service at the distribution point for heavier machine use.  It doesn't involve any extra wiring but is a bitch to get permission.  Zoning is very tight to prevent residences from being used for businesses.

And also because most of the applications came people looking to set up a grow house. Though lately, most grow houses just steal the power by bypassing the meter.

Billy