Reading a CD that has no reflective layer

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:15:25 CST 2014

On 11/24/2014 06:06 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> Thanks to John's pointer, I've got a CM153 card, so I might be able to
> test my stash of CM100 drives at some point. Now I need to track down
> the CM153 driver, and an old enough PC that it's got a chance of
> working. Having an ISA slot is necessary but not sufficient; it also
> requires a sufficiently slow CPU, and I'm not sure where the cutoff
> is. Probably need a 286 or older.

Possibilities:

1) Machine with a 'turbo' switch, running in non-turbo mode?

2) Software "slow down" utility? (I remember these, but can't for the life
of me remember the name of any of them!)

3) Underclock the system board? (I certainly did this on a 486 years ago,
replacing its 33MHz oscillator with a 3.x MHz, with no apparent ill-effects
with regards to stability)

cheers

Jules