Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Mon Nov 24 15:20:49 CST 2014

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 12:28 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
>

> Stuff I know need 3-phase:
> VAX 86x0 machines. They have 3-phase motors for the fans. (Don't wire things up backwards, or your airflow will run backwards, which is not good.)
> RP06 disk drives. They use 2 phases for their motors.
>
> I wasn't aware that the KL needs 3-phase, but it might just be that the power supplies are large enough, and complicated enough, that you can't just rewire them.

The main DC supply for the KL CPU requires 3-phase.  It uses a ferro-resonant transformer and that requires 3-phase.  There are also a number of 3-phase fans.

Since I don't have 3-phase at my shop, I'm planning on re-doing my KL's power supplies to be modern switchers run off of 240v (to keep the current draw lower).  That and replacing the 3-phase fans should allow me to run my KL from 240v.