Looking for a Linux-usable EPROM programmer

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:34:45 CST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Craig Ruff <cruff at ruffspot.net> wrote:
> If anyone is looking for a USB attached programmer, I picked up a Batronix BX40 Bagero II programmer recently, which is supported under Linux, OS X and Windows. This specific model doesn't handle PAL, GAL, MCU or NAND flash, but they have another model that does.  It doesn't even require an external power supply.

I recommend getting a used Data I/O Unisite 40 or Unisite 48. They
hook up by a serial port (or USB-serial adapter) and work fine with
Linux.  They can program almost any chip that is programmable,
including PAL, GAL, MCU, etc.  Adapters (e.g., Chipsite) are needed
for SMT parts.

The notable omission from their universality is that they don't
program PMOS EPROMs (1701, 1702, MM5203, MM5204, S6834) because those
require extreme voltages compared to NMOS and CMOS EPROMs.

Eric