pdp11/93 DB9 rs232 pinout

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Nov 15 15:26:46 CST 2014

On 2014-11-14 17:59, drlegendre . wrote:
> Wow..
>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>      > From: Roe Peterson
>>
>>      > Can anyone point me at the pinouts for the KDJ11-E pdp11/93 DB9 rs232
>>      > connectors for the extra 7 (simulated) DL11s?
>>
>> Alas, documentation on the 11/93-94 seems to be very scarce on the ground.
>> (And, just for grins, the page in the 11/94 User Guide which has the
>> section -
>> 1.2.6 - which talks, however briefly, about that panel - pg. 1-4 - is
>> missing
>> from all the online copies of that manual which I checked.)
>

> Man, this is like deja-vu all over again..  at least I don't feel like I'm
> the only one in serial-pinout confusionland.

Hmm. Interestingly enough I just searched through both the 11/93 and
11/94 manuals, which I referred to before, and neither actually seems to
have the pinouts for the serial ports. Oh well.

The console is on a DB25, with a very standard RS-232. I hope everyone
can manage to get that one right.

For the DE9 connectors, they actually also follow the RS-232 standard.
For a connector without the modem control, all pins are in the first 9
anyway, so no problem. If you want full modem control, there is one
signal - DCD I think, which is on pin 20 in the RS-232 spec. On the DEC
DE9, I think that one was moved to pin 8. But someone should check that
out, in case they actually want full modem control.

	Johnny