Non-CRTC PET video circuitry...

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 02:50:45 CST 2014

On 11/13/2014 10:44 PM, tony duell wrote:
>> t's only drawing a single line of characters (garbage with some noise
>> due to a very terrible socket holding the character ROM), centered
>> vertically.  I initially thought this was a VRAM addressing issue (a
>> stuck counter or whatnot) but it turns out the VSync signal is much too
> Since the vertical timing signal is triggered by the counters getting to end of frame, are
> you sure it's not a counter problem? Are D6 and D7 counting correctly?

Thank you -- I knew that the counters fed back into the monitor control
logic but after I had initially taken a look at the counters (at D6 and
D7) I saw that the Load and Clear inputs were getting triggered rapidly
(at 64us intervals) and I assumed (incorrectly) that this was the actual
problem -- that this load / clear behavior was incorrect.

And after debugging that for a few hours last night I *completely*
spaced on that counter-controls-the-monitor thing and after confirming
that the 64us interval was actually correct never went back to look at
the counters.

Well, I just did.  D6 is fine.  D7 has all of its outputs stuck high.
Replaced it and I now have a full display (of random garbage).

Now to get the CPU to reset properly :).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, as usual...

  - Josh