Seeking disruptive tech

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Thu Dec 11 13:48:01 CST 2014

From: Noel Chiappa
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:59 AM

> The discovery of metals certainly had a huge impact, albeit that it was
> many thousands of years ago now!

  [snip]

> And it all started with sharp stones... :-)

Interestingly, metal affected stone technology for a while.

In Late Neolithic/Chalcolithic Europe, we find polished stone axes of a
shape which makes no sense from a functional perspective.  (They would
have been too fragile for actual use.)  These are associated with grave
goods of apparently high status individuals, and are thought to have been
symbolic of their status.

The shape of these axes mimics that of *bronze* axes found in the Central
Asian steppes and further south.  This includes spines which mimic marks
from mold casting, so that it is clear that the polished stone axes are
the later imitative technology.

(A lot of ink was wasted about 40 years ago discussing the cultural
 significance of the advent of the bronze axes into Europe, but let that go.)

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/