Seeking disruptive tech

Tor Arntsen kspt.tor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:32:57 CST 2014

On 11 December 2014 at 14:59, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> But among the big ones for me are electricity, which almost has too many
> subsets to count (e.g. long distance communication, starting with the
> telegraph - read "The Victorian Internet" for a good look at how that changed
> the world), the printing press (information technologies in general have
> outside weight, since they affect so many other fields), the internal
> combustion engine (which has physically re-shaped entire civilizations,
> especially the US), with all its subset (e.g. the airplane)... too many to
> think of, almost!

o Soap  (try to live without soap - e.g. try to get that tomato sauce
off clothing or whatever). Historically one of the most important
inventions. Even though the Romans tried to get by without.
o Electricity. The closest thing we have to magic in this reality. If
there is a universe somewhere without electricity then they would
definitely claim that magic does exist here.
o Reading and writing - without that we wouldn't have the modern, or
even medieval world.