Seeking disruptive tech

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 02:46:54 CST 2014

On Dec 10, 2014 9:37 PM, "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I thought those were all captive to their vendors, not modules a
customer could
> > buy as a standalone and supported product (vs. e.g. service spares).
> > Certainly that was the case for SMS.
>
> What does this have to do with the engineering qualities of the modules?

My statement that you contradicted specifically said commercially available.

> Anyway, I think you could buy just about anything from CDC, in case
> you wanted to roll your own whatever.

Unless they were sold as a supported end-user product, no one in their
right mind outside CDC would build anything other than maybe a one-off with
them, no matter how much better they were.

There were proprietary digital ICs before the standard MECL, RTL, DTL, and
TTL families, too, but they didn't see wide adoption for the same reason.
Engineers need to build products using supported components, not just stuff
thst can be purchased as service spares.