Seeking disruptive tech

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Wed Dec 10 18:23:01 CST 2014

I'd say he found the right list ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Roy Hirst
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:30 PM
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Subject: Seeking disruptive tech

I just realized I am the same age as the transistor (though it in fact got smaller as it got older, and I did not).
Does anyone know please of a forum (this one?) with interest in disruptive technology, i.e. components or processes that quickly changed the gameplan?
Obviously at some tipping point ICs became cheaper and easier than analog components, in 1945 V2 weapon guidance has mechanical gyros, but
15 years later a Minuteman uses quad nand gate ICs.
Behind DEC's PDP-1, funky light brown paint and all, is presumably some contemporary innovation in packaging or fab process?  I never had a relationship with a PDP-1, but I could generate similar nostalgia for the first commercial use of VHDL, for instance.
Any idea where people like me go to live again my idea of the good old days?
Thanks.
Roy

*Roy Hirst* | 425-556-5773 | 425-324-0941 cell XKL LLC | 12020 113th Ave NE, Suite 100 | Kirkland, WA 98034 | USA

On 12/9/2014 6:04 PM, Ian S. King wrote:
> There are artifacts that are good candidates for 'living' restoration,
> and those that are candidates for 'preservation' as elements of the
> historical record.  Thus do archival science, history and museology
> intersect, with somewhat unpredictable results at times.  :-)
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/4/14 4:25 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
>>
>>   CHM does have *a* PDP-1 prototype
>> Correct. DEC's original prototype in funky light brown cabinet paint.
>>
>> http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102666958

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.
 If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above e-mail address.