Seeking disruptive tech

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:10:14 CST 2014

> Behind DEC's PDP-1, funky light brown paint and all, is presumably some
> contemporary innovation in packaging or fab process?

Actually, the DEC system modules used in the PDP-1 through the PDP-6
(I think?) were sort of a bad design. Expensive connectors, restricted
airflow, and towards the end they grew too large and unwieldy. The
Flip Chip was a huge improvement.

The best circa 1960 packaging I have seen probably is in NLS test
systems. Why they never jumped into the minicomputer business (or did
they?) back then is beyond me, as they had all the puzzle pieces.

--
Will