Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Tue Dec 2 21:22:06 CST 2014

On 12/02/2014 12:45 PM, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> Jon Elson wrote:
>

> No, thats not stupid. Nobody says that the compiler should think about your
> code.
>
> You clearly shift the int variable 32 times to the left and the compiler is
> warning you..
>
> BTW: there are some standards in stdint.h that clarify up a lot which tpe
> has how many bits, eg int32_t int64_t uint8_t.
> On my system int is 64 Bits and a long long is 128 bits, for shure your
> code will work here, bit your code isn't portable! It doesn't work on a
> 32 Bit system and it doesn't work on 16 or 8  Bit machines.
>
> C is much like Assembler, you should know what you really want todo. The
> comiler let you do all kind of things with the assumption that you know what
> you are doing. This is a programming language for system programming
> purposes (written to write Unix) where you have to load unusual registers
> and such things...

Not my code, it just took me longer to find this than it
should have.  I do a lot of
device control stuff in C, so appreciate that bit fields are
easy to work with.
Yes, in my code, I have moved to using uint32_t and similar
types, and get RID
of the int, long int, long long int that don't have a
totally explicit meaning on
different systems.  We just moved some data acq software to
some 64-bit
systems, and had to deal with a LOT of non-explicit data
types that would compile
differently on 32- and 64-bit systems.

Jon