Cyber ECL Wiring

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Dec 1 21:11:55 CST 2014

On 2014-Nov-30, at 2:28 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 11/30/2014 02:19 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:
>> Would that be these?: http://www3.telus.net/~bhilpert/tmp/HP2116C/crimps.jpg http://www3.telus.net/~bhilpert/tmp/HP2116C/backplane.jpg It's the backplane of an HP2116C. I've always wondered what the tradename for the technique was. Looks like in these machines the wire was stripped before crimping though.
> Yes, that's it.  No, I am PRETTY sure the tool stripped the wire as it was
> terminated.

Right, I was just distinguishing between the wire being stripped vs having the crimp bite through the insulation.
Looking closely at them, there's actually two sections to the crimp, a short bit that clamps the insulation and a longer section for the metal-to-metal contact.

I haven't experienced any problems with them, thankfully.

>  I actually worked at a place that used this system, that was
> in 1969.  I believe the system came from AMP, but i could be wrong
> on that.

I just looked, the edge connectors at least are indeed from AMP.