OT: learner kits (was: Re: using new technology on old machines)

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 2 02:46:14 CST 1970

An acquaintance just the other day showed me an Arduino experimenters kit that came with breadboard, LEDs, jumpers, etc, all in a compartmentalised plastic box for 28$CDN. Haven't used it myself, just saw it briefly. Maybe you want to start him out at a lower level of logic than that though, or alternatively maybe he can move from that to incorporating & interfacing lower levels of logic.

Something like this, but this is twice the price:
	http://www.adafruit.com/products/170

An annoyance of the Rpi for this stuff is the GPIO pins are 3.3V, they need V clamps on input from TTL at least. Not sure where the Arduino fits in that regard.