XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 00:03:40 CST 1970

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: XH558 - was Re: using new technology
etc

> Bringing this topic full circle, does anyone
> know if any minicomputers
> (DEC PDP-8s or 11s, DG Novæ, HP 21XXs, et
> cetera) were ever used on
> aircraft? Not transported by one, but I mean
> setup and used on one.

DEC architecture machines were in the serious
minority when it came to
military computers in combat service. DG/Rolm was
huge, as was Univac.
IBM, Burroughs, and CDC had a slice of the market
as well.

--
Will

----- Reply -----

Don't forget Cromemco:

>From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromemco

In 1981 a study was commissioned by the United
States Air Force Systems Command to select a
microcomputer for theTheater Air Control System
(TACS). From a field of 149 microcomputers the
Final Technical Report concluded that “the
equipment offered by Cromemco is the most
responsive to the general selection criteria.”[31]
In the years following this study the United
States Air Force became a major customer for
Cromemco computers.[32] [33]

Cromemco developed a special version of the CS-200
computer (called the CS-250) to meet the
requirements of the Air Force's Mission Support
System (MSS). The CS-250 had a removable hard disk
based on patented Cromemco technology[34]The
United States Air Force deployed 600 Cromemco
Systems from 1985 to 1996 as Mission Support
Systems for the F-15, F-16, and F-111
aircraft.[35][36] These systems received their
first war time use in Operation Desert Storm in
1991.[37]