Northrup Flying Wing - was Re: XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Jan 1 19:17:00 CST 1970

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Toby Thain wrote:

>  "in 1949 the Air Force ordered all the flying wings destroyed, all the jigs
> and tools destroyed, every trace of the flying wing eradicated. A few years
> later even the engineering drawings were all destroyed by new Northrop
> management."

I don't know why they went to those lengths, but it's my understanding
that the program was cancelled because at the time, the USAAF (USAF?)
mandated stall testing as part of their development programs.  Without
serious flight control computers, stalling a flying wing just ends up in a
freshly planted aluminum tree.  Even WITH good computers, stalling a
flying wing is a Bad Idea(tm).  AFAIK, the B-2 has never been stalled (on
purpose), even during development.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007