XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 1 17:31:22 CST 1970

On 2015-Jun-19, at 5:26 AM, Peter Cetinski wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:50 AM, jwsmobile <jws at jwsss.com> wrote:
>>
>> The closest I came to an aircraft in this class was an almost on a Concorde Ticket in the late 70's when an upgrade to first class could get you near to the Concorde fare, and then on a visit in the 90's I got to see one take off like a rocket @ Heathrow.
>
> I remember the first time I saw Concorde as a boy.  I was at JFK, I think to see off my grandmother who was taking a trip back to the old country.  I’m standing at one of the large windows looking out at the flightline when all of a sudden, from the right, at what seemed to me to be just a few hundred feet above the terminal building, comes this giant roaring bird at what seemed to be a 30 degree bank after just taking off.  My little boy jaw just dropped as I watched this screaming monster white dragon fly by.
>
> What the heck has happened to us that we can build these planes 50 years ago that are unsurpassed even today?  Sad.

Oh but we couldn't do it, you didn't really see it, it's an implanted memory. It's another great big government conspiracy, just like Apollo.

(satire, in case it isn't obvious)

(saw the Concordes twice, once here in vancouver, once at JFK)

On 2015-Jun-19, at 7:58 AM, ANDY HOLT wrote:
> *** If you think the SR-71 was killed-off with unseemly haste read the history of the TSR-2

Here in Canada the feted story in this vein is the Avro Arrow. Scorched-earth policy invoked when the program was cancelled, next to nothing remains of them.

There actually are suggestions of conspiracy and subterfuge in that story.