XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 11:36:06 CST 1970

On 18 June 2015 at 10:33, Sean Caron <scaron at umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I'm guessing by the CLLI code in your sig, you're maybe close to St.
> Catharines, ON, CA?

Close; actually, I'm in Stoney Creek/Hamilton, ON, CA.

> If that's true, I just wanted to let you know that - IIRC - there is a
> SR-71 on static display within a car trip of your location in Kalamazoo, MI
> at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. It's actually a B-model ... trainer ... I saw it
> a few years ago when I was in town visiting my parents and it was pretty
> cool ... I think it's still there:

Oh yes, I've heard of it. But a vision impairment means I can't drive,
which limits my ability to drive out to Michigan. Though I do plan on
visiting it sometime. Meanwhile the Canadian War Plane Heritage Museum
is two (city) bus trips away, so that's a nice plus.

> http://www.airzoo.org/page.php?page_id=192
>
> It doesn't do flying demos but it is a complete aircraft in "mint"
> condition and you can get right up there and touch it.

I don't think any of the SR-71s do flying demos, do they?

I was born too late to see the SR-71 fly. I could still see a U-2 fly
though (those are also neat planes). There's so many cool planes, and
so little time to experience them all. (SR-71/A-12, U-2, B-52, CF-105,
Avro Lancaster, Supermarine Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane, Messerschmitt
Bf 109, Avro Vulcan, Antonov An-225, Concorde, Mitsubishi A6M Zero,
North American P-51 Mustang, Junkers Ju 52... and that list is
incomplete.)

Cheers,
Christian
--